As a homeowner, you may have a long list of things to do every fall before winter creeps in. Cleaning gutters to remove leaves, sticks, and debris should be a top priority on your fall checklist (if it isn’t already). Keeping leaves out of gutters is crucial for protecting the structure of your home and preventing (sometimes) costly inconveniences in the future. There are a number of reasons why cleaning your gutters is important, and we’ve outlined five of them below.
Cleaning your gutters will help:
- Prevent water damage. When gutters and downspouts are blocked with leaves and debris, rainwater may not drain properly. As water overflows from gutters, it can cause water damage on both the interior and exterior of your home.
- Protect your roof. Clogged gutters give rainwater nowhere to run. When water continues to flood over, it can leave rotten or a leaky roof in its wake.
- Keep pests from causing trouble. Gutters clogged with leaves can make desirable homes for rodents, birds, and insects. The last thing you want is a pest infestation in your home!
- Reduce the risk of a cracked foundation. When water is blocked from traveling away from your home, it can pool around the foundation of your house. This water can crack your foundation when it expands and freezes in the winter months.
- Save you money. Gutter and downspout cleaning can help prevent unexpected and expensive projects down the road. Taking preventive measures now can help minimize the likelihood of having to repair or replace your roof.
Now that you’re familiar with the importance of gutter cleaning, what’s next? While there’s no simple answer for how often you should clean your gutters, clearing gutters every fall and spring can help alleviate the risk of a potential homeowner headache.
Don’t hesitate to call a professional roofing company if you have any questions or doubt about the condition of your roof. Experienced roofers, like our team at Wobig Construction, are qualified to determine the safety and stability of your home.